Tuesday 28 May 2019

New Release - Vava Vol - Best of 2013 - 2015 - May 28, 2019



Today, I am very proud to present my new release, “Vava Vol – Best of 2013 -2015”, an eclectic mix of experimental electronica dating back to those years.  This 22-track collection has been arranged choosing songs from my early albums:  Behind The Light, Celestial, Symbolic and Oktave.  It is the first of more to come on my musical journey as I re-visit and compile my catalogue into these special collections.


Photo © Vocrtx 2013



In preparation for this exciting work, I listened long and hard to my draft playlist as it shuffled up and down.  I re-discovered the subtle and not-so-subtle  harsh noises which I had so painstakingly recorded over these years, some while riding my bike through urban streets, back alleys, parks and others setting up in my garage to record myself playing metal rebar  pieces on a 45-gallon oil drum.  I was always on the hunt for strange anomalies and noises everywhere.  It all brought me back to those insane recording sessions.  Field recording is very addictive!





This collection spans a time period where I began vigorously experimenting layering electronics with strong EDM beats and bass, field recordings, acoustic noises, vocoders, bursts of white and pink noise, radio voice static and drones.  This is the time period where I began composing and arranging in eclectic musical genres such as musique concrète, electronica/classical/ballad crossovers, techno, trance, chill, free-style, spontaneous experimental and the manual syncing of analog with digital sequencers.  Never forgetting my classical roots, I wove melodies and harmonies in and out of chord progressions and chromatic scales, running my way up and down those 88 keys of my beloved Triton LE.  

Growing up as an avid music lover and record collector, I’ve always been attracted to all genres of music, even the occasional country tune!  Artistically, I'm a very melodic person and thus attracted to catchy riffs and harmonies that stick in my head.  It’s what keeps me listening to a song again and again and returning years later to discover a note or a melody that I hadn’t heard before. 


Photo © Vortex 2013


Six years ago while composing instrumental tracks, I used the soundtrack approach and let my imagination take me deep inside my music.  Whether recording a full 24-track song or going minimal with just 3 or 4, I always had a clear vision of what I was doing and still do now.  Whether getting my feet wet with my twisted take of musique concrète on “M-33” or smashing glass plates on concrete as I clicked by in stilettos on “Mi Anima”, all my field recordings were captured on a 90s Sony Walkman, the best portable cassette recording device ever made.  It has such a crisp, real-time, rich sound.  This is what Zilon and I used in the 80s when we recorded in abandoned buildings during our Warehouse Sessions.  He trained me well and I thank him for that.  But hey, that’s another story! 

Enjoy the sound trip and stay tuned for future delightful collections coming your way!





No comments:

Post a Comment